Tuesday 17 February 2009

Traffic report


With the snow about I’ve been listening to more local radio to try to catch weather and traffic reports in the car. Somehow, don’t ask how – I wouldn’t be able to replicate the actions and now I can’t get back to normal – I’ve managed to turn on the setting which interrupts what you are listening to with any traffic reports which may be transmitted. This happens whether I’m listening to another station or with my CD playing. I get a beep then the report kicks in. The radio station ident shows up on the display, then when it’s finished it goes back to the CD or previous station I was listening to. This is all well and good except there is usually some kind of a hand over with the traffic news reporter and the DJ who’s show it is. Sometimes it can go on for a good five or ten minutes, so I end up hitting the button to put the CD back on manually. Something like:

“Tell me Fred do you like eighties music?”
“Not really…I can appreciate it in
a kind of kitsch fashion.”
“Well if you were a fan of eighties music you
would love the next record…”

It’s always inane crap. I’m sure there should be some kind of broadcasting rule whereby they should hit their bleep and hand back to what I was listening to before the inane banter comes on. Otherwise they are hijacking your radio.
Please let me know if anyone does know if there is a rule for this and how I can report stations who go on for too long, way past the end of the traffic report.

No comments:

Post a Comment